Substitute Teaching Credential
Lake County is in desperate need of substitute teachers. Even more so now due to COVID-19.
From July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 the state is offering those who are interested in becoming a substitute teacher their credential fee waived.
This is typically a $100 fee with a $2.50 processing fee.
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year.
Read more about Substitute Permit Requirements at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
Instructions for Completing a 30-Day Substitute Permit
- Complete a Pre-Application Substitute Teaching form online.
- Schedule a Substitute Teacher Onboarding Call.
- ***Please wait to complete the next steps until after our onboarding call. During our call I will answer any questions you may have about the process.***
- Annual Keenan SafeSchools training(s) will be emailed after the onboarding call.
- Verification of current TB test/screening is required. Please refer to the "California School Employee Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Questionnaire", for more details.
- Official transcripts showing confirmation of a Bachelor's or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Create a California Commission on Teaching Credentials account.
- *Live Scan Fingerprint. Fingerprints are done at Lake County Office of Education.
- Complete Live Scan for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing $74.
- Complete Live Scan fingerprint for Lake County Office of Education $32.
- *Apply for Certificate of Clearance (COC) $52.50.
- Lake County Office of Education will submit your application electronically to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
*During the onboarding call, we will discuss which background clearances are required.
Once your application has been received, the CTC will send an email message requesting payment of $102.50. Annual renewal is required.
You will need to submit payment before your permit will be evaluated by the Commission.
Once all CTC documents and LiveScan have been processed and approved, the onboarding process will be complete.
Congratulations, you are now ready to substitute teach in Lake County!