Substitute Teaching Credential Checklist
Instructions for Completing a 30-Day Substitute Permit
Please note steps 1 and 2 are self-initiated, using the underlined link per each step.
- Complete a Substitute Teaching Survey.
- Schedule Substitute Orientation Call.
- ***Please wait to complete the next steps until after our onboarding call. During our call, I will answer any questions you may have about the process.***
- Annual Keenan SafeSchools training(s).
- Current negative TB test/screening. Please refer to the "California School Employee Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Questionnaire", for more details.
- Official transcripts showing confirmation of a Bachelor's or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Create an California Commission on Teaching Credentials account.
- *Live Scan Fingerprint.
- Complete Live Scan for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing $74.
- Complete Live Scan fingerprint for Lake County Office of Education $32.
- *Apply for Certificate of Clearance (COC) $52.50.
- Lake County Office of Education will submit your application electronically to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
*During the orientation call, we will discuss which background clearances are required.
Once your application has been received, the CTC will send an email message requesting payment of $102.50. Annual renewal is required.
You will need to submit payment before your permit will be evaluated by the Commission.
Once all CTC documents and LiveScan have been processed and approved, the process will be complete.
Congratulations, you are now ready to substitute teach in Lake County!