Substitute Teacher Credential
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year.
Read more about Substitute Permit Requirements at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
*Note: The Lake County Office of Education will submit your application to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
Instructions for Completing 30-Day Substitute Packet
- Complete a Pre-Application Substitute Teaching form online.
- Annual certification of the online course: "Mandated Reporter: Child Abuse & Neglect training." A link to the training website will be emailed to you upon submittal of your pre-application.
- Verification of current TB test/screening is required. Please refer to the "California School Employee Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Questionnaire", for more details.
- Official transcripts showing conferral of baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement (CBEST or qualifying SAT/ACT scores)
- Create an account on the California Commission on Teaching Credentials website. (Please scroll down a little on the CTC website, and it will be on the right-side in the desktop version.)
- Live Scan Fingerprint Requirements: Cash, money order or credit card only – personal checks will not be accepted. Fingerprints are done at Lake County Office of Education.
- Submit one Live Scan fingerprint form ($49.00 plus $25.00 fee for a total of $74.00) for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing – TCC/Teacher Credentialing. This is required prior to applying for your Certificate of Clearance.
- Submit one Live Scan fingerprint form ($32.00) for Lake County Office of Education background check.
- Certificate of Clearance (COC): As of January 1, 2017, first-time applicants must obtain a Certificate of Clearance ($52.50) prior to processing the application, which must be returned with your application.
Once you have completed all of the above steps, you will need to schedule a Substitute Registration appointment with Elisha Cooley, Credential Analyst at the Lake County Office of Education.You can create an appointment through Calendly.
LCOE will submit your application electronically to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Once your application has been received, the CTC will send an email message requesting payment of $102.50 (with annual renewal required by CTC.)
You will need to submit payment before your permit will be evaluated by the Commission.
Once all CTC documents and LiveScan have been processed and approved, the onboarding process will be complete.
Congratulations, you are now ready to substitute teach in Lake County!