Substitute Teacher Credential
The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year.
Read more about Substitute Permit Requirements at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
*Please contact Elisha Cooley at (707) 262-4169 or firstname.lastname@example.org, at the beginning of this process to receive a "Instructions for Compleing 30-Day Substitute Packet." You will be required to submit that packet to the Lake County Office of Education before your application can be submitted to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Instructions for Completing 30-Day Substitute Packet
- Complete and sign CTC Application Form 41-4 which can be found on the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
- Meet the Basic Skills Requirement (CBEST or qualifying SAT/ACT scores)
- Official transcripts showing conferral of baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- Live Scan Fingerprint Requirements: Cash, money order or credit card only – personal checks will not be accepted. Fingerprints are done at Lake County Office of Education.
- Submit one Live Scan fingerprint form ($49.00 plus $25.00 fee for a total of $74.00) for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing – TCC/Teacher Credentialing. This is required prior to applying for your Certificate of Clearance.
- Submit one Live Scan fingerprint form ($32.00) for Lake County Office of Education background check.
- Certificate of Clearance (COC): As of January 1, 2017, first-time applicants must obtain a Certificate of Clearance ($52.50) prior to processing the application, which must be returned with your application.
- Verification of current TB test/screening is required. Please refer to the Notice of TB Test Requirement form, included in your packet, for more details.
- Complete the top portion of the Substitute Teacher Form, included in your packet.
- Annual certification of the online course: Mandated Reporter: Child Abuse & Neglect training. A link to the training website will be emailed to you upon submittal of your completed application.
When your packet is complete, please contact Elisha Cooley at the Lake County Office of Education to set an appointment for review of the application packet.
Your application will be electronically submitted to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Once your application has been received, they will send an email message requesting payment of $102.50 (with annual renewal required by CTC.)
You will need to submit payment before your permit will be evaluated by the Commission.