Board of Trustees
Dr. Mark Cooper
- County Board of Education/California School Boards Association Activities (elected officer, committees, etc.)
- California County Boards of Education President (2001)
- CCBE President-Elect (2000)
- CCBE Vice President (1999)
- Board Member, Lake County Office of Education (1992-Present)
- President of Board, Lake County Office of Education (1995 and 2000)
- Board Member, Konocti Unified School District (1977-1989)
- Delegate to California School Boards Association Region 1A (1987-1989)
- Delegate to CSBA Region 1 County Representative (1994-Present)
- Legislative Committee CCBE (1995-1997)
- CCBE Board of Directors (1994-Present)
- CSBA Board of Directors (Present)
- CSBA Legislative Network (1994-Present)
- CSBA Government Relations Chair for Congressman Mike Thompson (1995-1999)
- CSBA Government Relations Chair for State Senator Wes Chesboro (1999)
- CSBA Governance Task Force (1999-2000)
- CSBA Golden Bell Committee (Present)
- CSBA Federal Issues Council (Present)
- NSBA Alternate Delegate for CSBA (2001)
- NSBA Federal Relations Network (1998-Present)
Community Service and Volunteer Activities: (accomplishments that support public education)
- President, Redwood Empire Dental Society (1998-99) School Dental Screenings
- President, Elect REDS (1997-98)
- Vice President, REDS (1996-97)
- Treasurer,REDS (1995-96)
- Member and Past President of Clearlake Rotary Club (1974-Present) Scholarship Committee
- Member of BPOE (Elks) (1974-present) Scholarship and School Recognition Programs
- Lake County District Chairman, Boy Scouts of America (1989-1998)
- Board Member, Mt. Diablo-Silverado Council Boy Scouts of America (1989-Present)
- Assistant Wrestling Coach, Lower Lake High School (1996-2000)
- Member and Vice President, Lower Lake High School Boosters Club (1992-1998)
- Member, Clearlake Chamber of Commerce
- Konocti Education Foundation (1995-1997)
- Republican Central Committee Lake County (1978)
- Guest Lecturer, Clearlake Community College (History)
- Drummer, Clearlake Community College Jazz Band
- Burns Valley Elementary School Site Council (1974-1976)
- Clearlake Rotary International Dental Project Chairman (1980)
- Troop 44, Clearlake Boy Scouts of America Scoutmaster (1993-94)
Honors and Awards Received
- Lower Lake High School "Parent of the Year" (1996)
- "Silver Beaver Award" Boy Scouts of America (1996)
- TKU Dental Honor Society (1974)
- NSBA Distinguished Service Award (2001)
- Boy Scouts of America Woodbadge Certification 1994
- High School-South San Francisco High School (1960-65) Ranked 6th in class
- Bachelor of Arts-University of the Pacific, Stockton (1965-68)
- Master of Arts-University of California, Davis (1968-70) (Emphasis in Histology and Animal Behavior) Doctor of Dental Surgery-University of the Pacific School of Dentistry (1970-74) Ranked 6th in Class
- Wife-Janice, 2nd Grade teacher at Pomo Elementary School (Speech Therapy Credential)
- Son-Benjamin, Masters Degree Business Administration, University of the Pacific
- Son-Brian, Bachelor of Arts, graduated magna cum laude, Southern Oregon University
- Daughter-Jacqueline, Senior at the University of the Pacific, Stockton
Dr. David Browning
I am fortunate to call Lake County my home, to live and work here with the wonderful people that share this community. A solid K-12 education is basis to opportunity for our youth and I am proud to be a part of the process through the LCOE board. Supporting our seven school districts and providing direct services to students, pre-school through adult services, is critical to the needs of our county. The organization and effectiveness of the administration and staff of the LCOE impress me. I support continued efficiency and look forward to working on the goals of the LCOE.
- CLHS 1974
- CSU Sacramento BA 1979
- New England College of Optometry, Doctor of Optometry, 1984
- Practice of Optometry, Lakeport Ca. 1984 to present.
- Wife Peggy married 1976. Teachers Aide and Tutor, Lakeport Unified School District 1989 to Present.
- Son Daniel, CLHS 1998, BA CSU Humboldt
- Son Benjamin, CLHS 2002, AA Ohio State University - Agricultural Technical Institute
- American Optometric Association since 1980
- California Optometric Association since 1985
- Redwood Empire Optometric Society since 1985, Past President
- Early Lake Lions Club since 1986, Past President
- Lake County Area Plan Review Committee
- Lakeport General Plan Review Committee
- Lakeport Unified School District Board 1992 to 2000
Patricia M. Hicks
Born and educated in England, I hold a MA degree from Cambridge University in Physical Sciences. I began my professional life as a research metallurgist with Johnson & Matthey, a gold and precious metal company. Soon after our marriage, my husband and I immigrated to Toronto, Canada. My work there was as a process control metallurgist, until I left to start our family. We have two children.
We left Canada for California and settled in Mill Valley. It was there that I began a second career in education. I taught Chemistry and Physics at Jameson Hall High School, eventually becoming its principal. Later I became academic dean at Drew College Preparatory School in San Francisco and continued to teach sciences course. During this time, we took out United States citizenship.
Having discovered Lake County, we first bought a summer home and loving it so much we bought land in Upper Lake, built our home and moved here permanently in 1979.
I was first appointed to the Lake County Board of Education in 1981 and have served as the President several times. I have also been the President of the California County Board of Education, and for two years was a director on the California School Board Association.
Over the years, I have been on CSBA's legislative and finance committees and am now chair of the CCBE legislative committee. I believe that I can best serve the educational needs of our children by taking an active part in overseeing proposed legislation and lobbying at both the State and Federal levels on their behalf. My particularly interests are legislation which affects small and rural school districts, county offices of education, the schools and programs they operate, and strengthening the academic performance of all schools within the province of local control.
During my years in Lake County, I have served on the Economic Development Committee, the Alcohol and Other Drugs Committee, and was on the board of Sutter Lakeside Hospital for eleven years.
I hold a simple philosophy of education. From the day we are born we are learning. The greatest gift we can receive is a sound academic education during our school years, giving us the ability to continue to pursue any field of interest for the rest of our lives.
My parents immigrated from Switzerland and started farming on the ranch where we live the year I was born. I graduated from Kelseyville High School after attending all grades in the Kelseyville schools. Then I went to U.C. Davis for three years, majoring in Home Economics. After 26 years of raising our children, I went back to school and got a B.S. degree from the University of San Francisco in 1980.
While growing up in Kelseyville, I was active in 4-H and extracurricular activities at school. My parents had a dairy, so much of my time was spent bottling milk and cleaning equipment.
My husband Walt and I have five children and nine grandchildren. We grow wine grapes and raise sheep, and I cater events periodically. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else but here. During the years of 1976, '77 and '78, I did substitute teaching in all schools in the Lake County. It was a learning experience for me, certainly, but I hope some of the students I came in contact with learned something from me, too!
I wish for each and every student in Lake County to get a very good basic education and go on to some kind of higher education.
I am a Navy Veteran of World War II and retired Forest Ranger having served for 37 years with the California Department of Forestry. My wife, Mary, and I have been married for 52 years and moved to Lake County in 1963. Our two children received their education through the Konocti School District. Mary received her AA Degree in Early Childhood Education from Yuba College and was a Teacher Aide for 17 years. Our son, Steven, graduated from UC Berkeley and is an Architect in San Francisco. He and his wife and two children live in San Mateo. Our daughter, Jane, is a Master Sergeant stationed at McChord Air Force Base in Washington. Her husband is a Colonel, also stationed at McChord, and they have two girls.
I served on the Konocti School Board for several terms and have been active on the Lake County School Board since 1989. My community life has been centered around youth activities. I was President of the Kiwanis Club, which was one of the service clubs instrumental in building the existing public baseball fields and also the football field at the Lower Lake High School. I also served as President of the Little League for 10 years. Currently, I am Ambassador to our Lake County Shrine Club, also Parade Chairman and Screening Clinic Supervisor to help children find help if needed to attend the Shriners Hospital of Northern California in Sacramento.
I retired from Forestry in 1984, and in 1996 I was employed as a Real State Agent by Century 21 - Lake Realty, where I now work. As noted above, my interests have always been towards helping the youth of our community, and will continue to be so in the future.